Click image to enlarge
(opens in a new window)
The image on the left is of a milk bottle, with the words "E Gant, Vicarage
Farm, Dovercourt". It's of the type normally seen in England during the 1950s.
I have yet to positively identify this E Gant, though I'm assuming that it's Ernest
GANT (1896 - 1969). Many of Ernest's family were farmers in Dovercourt, and apparently
an Ernie GANT farmed land opposite Tollgate in Dovercourt in the 1940s. If anyone
can confirm the identity of this "E Gant", I'd be extremely grateful.
Edwin Gant, 5th Jan 1899 - Jan 1992
At Sittingbourne Council School (Kent, England) between 1904 and 1912, Andrew
Gant had 8 years of perfect attendance. To mark this distinction, he had 8 bars
added to his School Attendance medal. He was also presented with a splendid brass
bound writing box with a commemorative plate (pictured).
Countryman Magazine, March 2006
Dairy, Elmer, New Jersey, USA
The photo on the left shows a milk bottle top from Gant's Dairy in Elmer, NJ.
The bottle top was probably made from cardboard and is thought to date from either
the 1950s or 1960s.
Click the image to open a larger more detailed version in a new window
Gant's Cottages, Mileham,
The 1840 tithe map valued by William Beck of Mileham and John Beck of Longham
shows what are now known as Litchfield Cottages owned by William Gant and rented
to William Bell and another. What is now Grenstein Farm is called 'Beck's Farm'.
Eastview is owned by Richard Gant and rented to William Bird and others. The pightle
(parcel of land) is owned by Mary Griggs and used by Richard Gant and Charles
Alby. Richard Gant also uses Neatherd land, Holly Field, Graver's bungalow field
as well as owning Baines farm and land at Beeston. William Gant owns fields at
Beeston and the last house in the village opposite the chalet.
Gant's alley, Rotherhithe,
Source: Street Index, Boyle's View of London, and its Environs; 1799
A working watermill. The mill's history dates back to the Domesday survey of 1068,
which listed two watermills in Pitcombe, next to Bruton. They were worth 20 shillings.
One of these was almost certainly the site of Gants Mill. The earliest document
tells of a John le Gaunt, after whom the mill is still named. In 1290 the Lord
of Castle Cary granted him the right to build a fulling mill here. See http://www.gantsmill.co.uk/
for the full history.
Medieval Deeds concerning properties in BRUTON belonging mainly to the family
FILE - Feoffment
- ref. DD\SE/4/1 - date: [Undated]
John Fulloner of Lullington (with the consent of Cristina his wife), to John Le
Gant of Briwton, of a fulling mill at Cumb' juxta Briwton, etc., which Andrew
onetime lord of la Cumb' granted to his father Roger Fulloner of Lullington at
annual rent of a rose and 10s. Witn: Ralph Hurscarl; Will. de Godmaneston'; Thom.
de Cumba; Will de Compo Florido; Henr. de Harvile; Nich. Le Poer; Joh. de Wik'.
Source: Access to Archives
Gantesgrave appears as early as 1291. The name probably originates from Richard
le Gant, who is recorded as living in the area in 1285. In 1321 Ralph le Gant
was steward of Barking Abbey, and Richard and Gilbert le Gant were stewards in
The historic buildings in the Quakers Friars area of Bristol, now being redeveloped
as part of the Broadmead "improvement" scheme, will remain as a reminder
of the city's religious past.
The Dominican - or Black Friary as it was known - was founded by Matthew de Gourney
and Maurice de Gant, the son of Robert de
Berkeley, in about 1227.
Source: Bristol Evening Post, Tues Aug 8th 2006
A deed dated 7th and 8th Feb. 1669, describes a 'Meeting House, Burial Ground,
and Premises at the Friars' as: "Occupying part of the site of the ancient
monastery of the Black Friars (who used the present Burial Ground) situate between
Rosemary Street and the Broad Weir, from each side of which there is an entrance."
The former Meeting House was sold in 1956 and became Bristol Register Office,
and the burial ground was exhumed and became largely used for car parking.
Berkeley family of Berkeley
Click the image to open in
a new window
|The page to
the left is an extract from the book "Abstracts and Extracts of Smyth's Lives
of the Berkeley Family" by Thomas Dudley Fosbroke & John Smyth, published
"Maurice de GANT dying s. p. devised his Manors of Over, Beverston, Kingsweston,
Radwicke, and Northwicke, to his nephew Robert de Gournay; and re-conveyed the
three Hundreds of Portbury, Bedminster, and Harclive, to Thomas Lord Berkeley,
his cousin and his heir".
Robert FitzHarding acquired the adjacent hundreds of Bedminster, Portbury and
Hartcliff and granted them to his younger son Robert, but Thomas (I) Lord Berkeley
(d. 1243) bought the reversion from Robert's son and heir Maurice
de Gant. Portbury hundred was entailed in tail male, along with the
manor, by Thomas (III), but Bedminster and Hartcliff hundreds, possibly because
they were settled in jointure and tail general in 1289 with the manor of Bedminster,
were not. Consequently, on the death of Thomas (IV) in 1417, Bedminster and Hartcliff
hundreds passed to his daughter, the countess of Warwick.
Hartcliff and Portbury Hundreds, Somerset
Thomas de Berkeley and Maurice de Gant. n.d.
Thomas has inspected the grant by Robert, his grandfather, to Robert his [Robert's]
son of the three hundreds which the earl of Gloucester gave him, viz. those of
Portbury, Bedmunistre and Hareclive, to hold of him [Robert] for a rent of 1 mark
a year, and confirms it to Maurice de Gant.
Source: Access to Archives
The Berkeley Family
Robert FitzHarding's son Maurice (de Gant),
2nd Lord Berkeley (d. 1190) known as Make-peace because of his diplomatically
astute marriage with the daughter of the former occupier Roger de Berkeley (in
order to settle the inheritance) has left his mark on the Castle by adding a tower
or forebuilding opposite the Keep, also the curtain walls of the inner and outer
courtyards. He evidently made the Castle his home, in the sense that his predecessors
had never done. His son Robert temporarily lost possession of his property as
a result of siding with the barons at Runnymede when King John was compelled to
sign Magna Carta; it was restored to the Berkeleys in 1233.
Source: Official Guide Book, Berkeley Castle. ISBN 0 85101 322 8
Rufford Abbey, Nottinghamshire
Rufford Abbey was a Cistercian
house founded by Gilbert de Gant, Earl of
Lincoln, in c.1146 on the eastern edge of Sherwood Forest between Newark and Mansfield,
Nottinghamshire. The community built up estates both locally and farther afield
and ultimately owned some fourteen granges in the parishes around Rufford as well
as in north Lincolnshire and the Derbyshire Peak District.
c 12th century
Confirmation by Countess Alice, daughter of
Count Gilbert to Geoffrey de Nevilla of all
the tenements which Ralph de Nevilla his father held of Walter
de Gant her grandfather in Forduna, Fifle, Sloxtun, Musetuna, Martona
c 1155 - 1191
Charter of Robert de Gant reciting that when
his brother Earl Gilbert founded the abbey
of Rufford he gave it all his domain as is recited in the monks' charters, not
excepting the church of Aicringe which is situated in that domain and attesting
that this church belongs to the monks
c 1170 - 1184
Grant by Adeliz de Gant to the monks of Ruff'
of the forinsec service rendered on a bovate of land in Cratella
c 1197 - 1217
Grant by Gainnor de Gant to the monks of Rufford
of half a carucate of land etc in Auburne
1156 - 1185
Grant by Countess Adelicia daughter of Count
Gilbert de Gant to the monks of Ruford of advouson and patronage of
half the church at Eicringe
c 1174 - 1176
Grant by Countess Alice, daughter of Gilbert
de Gant, and Simon her Lord of the 2 and a half bovates of land in
Hulmam given to the church of Saint Mary of Ruchfort, that is to say the holdings
of Hugh and Swavo in return for 10s 0d.
c 1174 - 1176
Grant by Countess Alice, wife of Simon Earl
of Huntingdon, daughter of Earl Gilbert de Gant
to the monks of Rufford' of Hugh and Swave, as recited in no.141 above.
c 1200 - 1218
Grant by Gilbert de Gant to the monks of Ruford'
of all the land etc. in Ruford' and all the land etc. which Gilbert
Earl of Lincoln gave them in Eicring' and 30 acres of meadow besides
the Trent in Kelum; and also all the land in Cratela which Earl G. exchanged with
Ralph son of Reing for his land in Torp and one acre in Barton; and also 2 bovates
of land in Wilgebi and all the land which Earl G.
gave them in Barton.
1170 - 1184
Confirmation by the Countess A[lice] to the
same of all the gifts of Earl Gilbert [de Gant]
her father to them viz. Rufford, Cratley and all the lands in Willoughby and Barton
Confirmation by Hugh s. of Ralph s of Reinger, and Ralph his brother, of the gift
of Cratley to the same by Gilbert de Gant
their lord and quitclaim of their right therein.
Source: Access to Archives. See also The Early Years.
|Do you have
any comments or suggestions, or has the information on this website been useful
to your research? If so, your
is always welcomed!